Start Consolidating finaces when marrying

Consolidating finaces when marrying

There is usually a charge of a few dollars per certificate.

Your spouse may also be due a paycheck for vacation or sick leave.

If the employer provided life, health, or accident insurance, you may be entitled to receive payments under these policies.

Copies are available at the office of the County Clerk where the marriage license was issued.

You will need copies of birth certificates for dependent children.

Land titles, stocks certificates, and other financial papers may be stored in a safe deposit box or other secure place.

The next step is to contact various sources of benefits and to make necessary choices about payments.

This Financial Guide will help you handle the many financial details which must be attended to on the death of a loved one.

Upon the death of a spouse, many decisions need to be made and actions must be taken in the first few months after death.

If your spouse was a veteran who received a discharge other than dishonorable, you may be eligible to receive a lump-sum payment of $300 for burial expenses and an allowance of $150 toward a plot in a private cemetery (burial in a national cemetery is free to a veteran, his or her spouse, and dependent children).

Veterans are also eligible for a headstone or grave marker at no charge.

This Financial Guide provides information that will help guide you through this difficult time.